application process roommates/
room assignment
move-in info/
what to bring
general questions
housing guarantee dining plan amenities/services financial aid/billing

The Application Process (New Undergraduates)

When should I apply for Housing?
You should apply for Housing online as soon as you receive your admit letter, usually mid- to late-March. There is no fee to apply and no penalty for declining to sign the housing contract, so we highly recommend you apply even before you decide to attend UC San Diego or submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).The deadline to apply for housing is May 1, 2014.

After applying online, am I done with the Housing process?
No. It is your responsibility to ensure that all deadlines are met, including submission of Admissions SIR (Statement of Intent to Register) by May 1, and completing the housing contract process with $650.00 prepayment by June 30, 2014. Confirm receipt of your Housing Contract & prepayment online at: http://myapplication.ucsd.edu. If you have a question regarding your Housing status, call 858.534.4010.

How do I accept my Housing offer?
Refer to the Important Deadlines section of the website for a checklist and deadlines.

What if I am admitted to UC San Diego after the May 1 Statement of Intent to Register deadline?
Guarantees for on-campus Housing are given only to admitted students who submit a Housing application by May 1. If you are admitted after May 1 we will not be able to extend a Housing guarantee. The Housing Application will remain open and we encourage you to apply if you are interested. Housing applications received beginning May 2 will automatically be placed on our waitlist. The Housing office will stay in touch via email and you can check the Housing Website for status updates.

Should you wish to live off campus, the Off Campus Housing Website has listings of nearby rentals and roommate matches.

How long will I be on the wait list?
We anticipate being at full capacity for Fall 2014. We will, however, still open a waitlist on August 1st. In the event a vacancy arises, you will be contacted the moment we are able to offer you a space. If you have not been offered a space by mid August, please actively pursue off-campus housing.

What happens if I miss a deadline?
Deadlines are firm and there are no exceptions. Be sure to apply well in advance. If you miss the Statement of Intent to Register or Housing Application deadlines, you may not receive the Housing Contract Instructional E-mail.

What if I am a Transfer student?
Incoming transfer students for Fall 2014 have a separate application and contract process from incoming first year students. Incoming transfer students may apply for a space at The Village at Torrey Pines. Applications for The Village at Torrey Pines will begin March 2014 and are available only to admitted students. Please visit The Village website for more information.

How will I receive my e-mail with instructions?
In late-May, all eligible first-year students will be e-mailed instructions on how to access the Housing Contract information online. You will be directed to a website containing the Housing Contract, prepayment coupon, payment options, and steps to complete the process. Please keep in mind that you may not receive this e-mail if your Housing application is received after the Housing Application deadline or if you fail to submit your SIR by May 1. Call Housing Administrative Services at 858.534.4010 if you do not receive the instructional email by June 10, 2014.

What should I do if I don’t receive the Instructional e-mail?
Students who meet the May 1 Housing Application and the May 1 SIR deadline will receive an instructional e-mail at their UC San Diego e-mail account in late-May. It is your responsibility to contact Housing and Dining Administrative Services at 858.534.4010 if you have not received this instructional e-mail by June 10.

What if I am away from my UCSD e-mail account when the Housing e-mail is sent?
If you will be away from your UCSD e-mail account for any period of time, arrange for someone to open your e-mail and meet all deadlines for you.

What if I have a name or address change?
It is your responsibility to inform the Office of Admissions at 858.534.4831 and Housing Administrative Services at 858.534.4010 of name and/or address changes.

How is Housing assigned?
Your Housing assignment is determined by your Housing application date, college of registration, AND room type preference. All of these factors play a role in determining if you are placed in your college of registration, tripled, or wait-listed.

First-year students are housed in their college of registration whenever possible; however, enrollment fluctuations, college policies, and availability sometimes make it impossible. In these instances, students may be offered a Housing space elsewhere on campus.

You will receive your specific room assignment details (roommate(s), building, floor-plan, double, triple, or single room) in early September from the Residential Life Office of the college where you will be housed.

Is it possible to be released from my housing contract?
If you wish to cancel your Housing contract during the summer months before you take occupancy, the answer is YES. Please read the Cancellation Policy. Make sure that you locate your category on the bottom half of the Cancellation Policy for New Incoming Freshman Fall 2014.

If you wish to terminate your Housing contract after move in or during the academic year, the process begins with your Residential Life Office. If you are denied release, you will be instructed how to appeal. If you are granted release because you are withdrawing from the University please communicate with your College and your Residential Life Office.

Back To FAQ ^

Room Assignment/Roommates

When will I be notified of my room assignment and roommate(s)?
College Residential Life Offices send out a welcome letter in late August/early September with important move-in information including the link to access your room assignment, mailbox number, and roommate information online.

How are roommates assigned to first-year students?
Rooms are assigned by the Residential Life Office of each college. Students are matched based on their gender and preferences indicated on their Personal History Form. Date of application and college of registration also play a large role in your assignment.

What should I do if my friend and I want to room together?
Send any roommate requests by email to your College Residential Life Office. Their contact information can be found by clicking here. Roommate requests must be sent via your UCSD.edu email account, be mutual, and be submitted by both parties. It is required that both (or all three people) must be of the same gender, of the same contract location, and of the same college of registration. Roommate requests are not guaranteed, but the Residential Life Offices will make every effort to accommodate these if possible.

Back To FAQ ^

Move-In Information/What To Bring

When can I move in?
Your contract begins Saturday, September 27, 2014, but all information pertaining to move-in will be included in the welcome letter scheduled to be mailed late August/early September.

College Welcome Letters
The 6 UC San Diego Colleges Residential Life Offices will send out Welcome Letters at the end of August. Some will be sent via email and some were mailed a welcome letter. Your Welcome Letter will provide you with important information about move-in week, things to plan on and where you can check your room assignment and roommate information. Contact your College Residential Life Office with questions.

What is the “Satisfaction First” Policy?
We stand behind our Housing and Dining program 100%, which is why we offer incoming first-year students and incoming transfer students a unique guarantee of their “Satisfaction First!” If, after you pick up your key and move into your Housing space you decide that living on campus is not for you, you have until 4pm on October 2, 2014 to terminate your housing contract. You will receive a full refund of your Residential Housing payment, less Dining Plan usage, any early move-in charges, and be charged a $100 administrative fee.

What should I bring?
Bring your own towels, pillow, bedding to fit an extra long twin bed (36" x 80") and a non-halogen desk lamp, fan, computer, clock, power surge protector, and personal first aid kit.

Once you receive your room assignment in September, it’s a GREAT idea to check with roommates and figure out who will bring larger items to share. Some residents like to purchase items together once they move in. Examples include:

  • mini refrigerator (smaller than five cubic feet and have a safe UL-approved electrical system)
  • microwave
  • stereo
  • television
  • printer
  • mini-vacuum

PLEASE check with roommates to make sure you don’t duplicate items! Click here for more information.

Can I bring a refrigerator or microwave?
Yes. You may want to bring your own mini refrigerator (one small refrigerator is allowed in each room). It must be smaller than five cubic feet and have a safe UL-approved electrical system. Microwaves may also be brought. Check with roommates to make sure you don’t duplicate items.

Move-Out Information
Remember, at the end of the year you are responsible for removing all of the items you "move-in"! We will have donation bins, recycling, and trash dumpsters available, but we do not offer storage on campus. Keep this in mind when you're bringing items in the fall!

Back To FAQ ^

Housing Guarantee

What is the Housing guarantee?
All new first-year students admitted to UC San Diego in Fall 2014 are eligible for guaranteed Housing space for two years. First-year students are defined as new students entering UC San Diego in the fall, directly from high school. To secure this Housing guarantee, all Admissions and Housing deadlines must be met.

How long is Housing guaranteed?
Two years is defined as six consecutive academic year quarters. You must continuously reside on campus for three consecutive academic year quarters. Moving off campus for any length of time other than quarter breaks, summer, or a UC San Diego-sponsored exchange program voids your Housing guarantee.

Regents Scholars, Jacobs School of Engineering Scholars and Chancellor’s Entering Freshmen Scholars who meet all first-year student deadlines are guaranteed twelve consecutive academic year quarters in campus Housing as long as they continue to meet scholarship and Housing guarantee criteria.

Back To FAQ ^


How can I get phone service?
You may want to consider cellular phone service for your primary line. Very few of our residents subscribe to a land line. If you would like to make arrangements for regular telephone service, please contact your Residential Life Office for directions. If you want a phone and answering machine, be sure to bring them with you.

If I don’t bring a computer, am I at a disadvantage?
Having your own computer would be more convenient; however, computer labs are available throughout campus. Printing is also available. Please check with your Resident Advisor for information where computer labs are located.

Where can I do my laundry?
Washers and dryers are conveniently located in or near each residential Housing facility. Check with your specific college of residence for locations or visit http://hdh.ucsd.edu/housing/laundry.asp for detailed information.

Will housekeeping clean my room?
All on-campus Housing facilities include some level of cleaning service each week. Cleaning is restricted to public areas including living rooms, dining rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. Residents are responsible for the cleaning of their private sleeping areas. Vacuums are available at each Residential Life Office, but residents may consider bringing their own mini-vacuum.

Back To FAQ ^

General Questions

Do I need to have renter's insurance for my campus living space?
Although not mandatory, it is highly recommended that you carry renter's insurance to protect your personal property (such as computers and other valuables). Here is a link to follow that is specifically designed for UC San Diego renters: ucsd.salliemaeinsurance.com/renters

Can I stay on campus during Winter or Spring Break?
Students are not allowed to stay in the residence halls during break. However, apartment residents may stay on campus during this time.

If parents come to visit, where can they stay?
La Jolla offers many hotels in the immediate area of campus. The Marriott, Radisson, and Hyatt have locations near the campus.

How can I get around campus?
Transportation and Parking Services offers numerous free campus shuttles to help students get around, both on and off campus. Please visit their website for more information.

Back To FAQ ^

Dining Plan

Can I change or cancel my dining plan?
Our Housing and Dining plan is a comprehensive room and board program. The Dining Plan cannot be changed, dropped, refunded, or transferred to Triton Cash.

Can I purchase additional Dining Dollars?
You can purchase additional Dining Dollars at a bulk discount rate through the Triton Card Accounts Office with cash, check, or credit card. Parents may deposit funds in their student’s account; however, we recommend waiting until spending and eating patterns are established mid-year, since Dining Dollars are non-transferable, non-refundable, and may only be used at UC San Diego Dining Services locations.

Back To FAQ ^


How are Housing fees billed?
Residential Housing fees are billed in the UC San Diego Statement, http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu. Housing charges can be found in the same location that UC Tuition and Education Fees are billed along with any current or delinquent University Charges. Housing also has a Housing Cost & Payment Schedule which serves as a reminder of future Housing Charge due dates.

Where is my UCSD Student Billing Statement sent?
All statements will be emailed to your UC San Diego e-mail account. If you wish to have your bills mailed to an additional address, go to http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu/ and complete the change of billing address form.

Can I make Housing payments with a credit card?
At this time, we do not accept credit card payments. We do, however, offer convenient E-Check payments. Details follow below.

Can I pay for Housing fees online?
The University's website at http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu/ now offers electronic check (E-Check) as a payment option. E-Check provides real-time payment for all student fees. This form of payment is safe, secure, fast, and posted to the student's account immediately. There is a nominal 50¢ transaction fee for use of this service.

Is the housing prepayment covered by financial aid?
No, since financial aid is not disbursed until late September, you are responsible for paying your Residential Housing prepayment from your own resources.

How do billing and payment due dates work?
All installments are due and payable by the last day of the payment due date indicated on the e-statement and Housing Cost and Payment Schedule. Fees and/or charges not paid by this date are considered delinquent and are subject to a $23 late charge.

How can I change my Housing installment payment plan?
To change your housing installment payment plan, send a written request to housinginfo@ucsd.edu. Be sure to include your Name, PID, and your request to change your current installment payment plan to PAY IN FULL, QUARTERLY, or MONTHLY.

Can financial aid be used to cover Housing payments?
Yes. The university applies your aid first to tuition fees or past due amounts, second to Housing payments and third to any other outstanding charges that may be due. If your University fees exceed the amount of financial aid, any outstanding charges are the student’s financial responsibility.

Will my aid cover all college expenses?
No. Very few students receive enough aid to cover all expenses. If your University fees exceed the amount of financial aid, any outstanding charges are the student’s financial responsibility.

May I use loan money towards Housing?
Yes, but only after you receive a promissory note from your lender. Remember to check the EFT box on your application. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 858-534-4480 if you have any questions about your loan application.

Back To FAQ ^

To submit a question for the FAQ page, please email us.

^ Back to Top